Saturday, October 20, 2007

Introversion and Independence

I am an introvert. Not a shrinking violet, but an introvert. I recharge by being alone. This morning, as I was walking in GG Park (alone) I was thinking about the difference between being an introvert and being independent. I think that most of my life I have erroneously believed that the combination of my introversion and my fairly strong independent streak makes me a self-contained unit. This is not the case. I am both an introvert and independent but that doesn't mean I am without dependence. I need the people of my community. I need to take breaks from them, to be sure, but I need them.

Bruce posted yesterday about what he's learned from his friends, and I want to say - Seriously? Get out of my brain! I was totally thinking something similar just this week. I have amazing people in my life and I'm so thankful for all we can be for each other and all we can learn from each other. I am, however, going to stop short of posting a cheesy song. Gratitude does not equal schmaltz.

This week I had the incredibly pleasant experience of having a flat tire on 280 while on my home from Trader Joe's. My friend Kenny helped me. A lot. Without my friend Gina, I would never go to the gym. My connection to the worship team folks motivates me to keep up my own spiritual practices. My fabulous co-workers motivate me to stay on top of my work load. Yesterday, my dad talked me through adding power steering fluid to my car.

As I get older and learn more I am increasingly comfortable relaxing into the space community provides. It's not the easiest thing for me, but I'm glad that those with whom I am in community are patient with my weirdness and community impairment.

1 comment:

Reyes-Chow said...

Oh come on, nov even a little Dionne Warwick and "That's What Friends Are For?"

Keep smilin', keep . . . .

Thanks for the reflective post.