Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why Bruce Reyes-Chow should be the PC(USA) Moderator

I apologize for being late to the endorsing party, but please know that my tardiness does not diminish the importance of his campaign. I don't know any of the other folks whose hats are in the rings, so this is not a statement against their candidacies, but merely for Bruce's.

I work with Bruce currently on the staff at Mission Bay Community Church and I can say without hesitation that is the most positive church staff experience I have had to date. We are a motley crew, to be sure, but we are a team of Jesus-followers, living life together in San Francisco. I have to say, I don't know much about the PC(USA) polity or process, as this is where I have currently landed on my whistle stop tour of Protestant denominations. I don't know that I will leave or that I will stay, but I do know that the PC(USA) will be better for having Bruce as their Moderator.

First, Bruce is a person of great integrity. I don't just mean that in a I-chopped-down-the-cherry-tree kind of way, but that when he says he wants something for our community, it happens. And if it doesn't, there is an explanation as to why. He is that rare combination of being a idea person and an implementing person. I've been in other church settings where there will be a phase of lofty vision casting and then six months later, everyone wonders what happened to all that. There is creative thinking, vision, practical application, and follow-up. Who doesn't need that in their life?

Second, Bruce LOVES this denomination. He believes in it and is committed to his belief that the larger organization has the power to effect real positive change and to make a difference in the world. He not only loves it, but he respects it. He adheres respectfully to the structure and organization and challenges interpretations appropriately while always respecting its history and value. I believe he has the right perspective to carry the PC(USA) into the future.

Finally, Bruce LOVES the Gospel. He is a Christ-follower to the core. This doesn't mean he's dogmatic and legalistic. Rather, he is always striving to communicate the message of Christ in the Spirit of Christ. He does things in a way that is relevant to our context without diluting the veracity of the message. It's a fine line to walk, and I think he does it brilliantly.

So there it is, all you PC(USA)ers. Come this summer in San Jose, Bruce is your guy. I hope you vote him in as Moderator because he is exactly what is needed in this time and place.

No comments: