Monday, August 25, 2008

Isn't She.....Smart? Articulate? Accomplished? No....it's LOVELY!?!

I need to speak a word here about this evening's Democratic National Convention. So far, so good. There is a lot of energy, a lot of enthusiasm, and some very disturbing hats. Because I'd recorded it on CNN, I got WAY more side commentary than I wanted and they talked over people's speeches, like Nancy Pelosi, James Leach and Donald Miller's benediction. Love how they lowered their voices during the benediction by the way, like they didn't want God to catch them talking during the prayer. Now I'm going to have to go online and watch the speeches, which is exactly what they want me to do, I expect, just so they can try to entice me to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal.

One of the highlights was the tribute to Ted Kennedy. The Kennedy family is one of the more fascinating and controversial in our history and one of the more colorful characters in it is Teddy Kennedy. Chappaquiddick anyone? However, regardless of your feelings about his politics, you can tell that he is deeply loved by his family and friends and the tribute they paid him was quite beautiful. He seemed healthy, energetic, and ready to take on another year in the Senate. Maria Shriver was just bawling during his speech. It was really great.

The keynote of the evening was Michelle Obama and she was introduced lovingly and respectfully by her older brother. She did a beautiful job. She told us that Barack was, in fact, the same man that she had fallen in love with 19 years ago. She spoke eloquently of his passion for the under-privileged, his desire to make a difference, his appreciation for those who have gone before. She noted the importance of this week being the 88th anniversary of women being given the right to vote and the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech. It was a home run on all counts. And then....the band.

The band began to play Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely." Seriously. I could not believe it. You know what - I don't care if it was their wedding song, or her favorite song or whatever. I'm not in on those kinds of inside stories. It seemed to me probably the most patronizing music choice in the history of political conventions. "Wow. That was a great speech. And look how pretty she is." WTF? Yeah, she's gorgeous. No argument from me. But what about playing something inspiring, even patriotic, something remotely befitting a future first lady?

No comments: