Tuesday, August 12, 2008

When did THAT happen?

Today, my niece started preschool. PRESCHOOL. She's 4. And-a-half almost. How did that happen? Seriously. It seems like last week she was the baby you see there on the left. Now this morning, she's this grown child who's starting preschool. I called her today and got the scoop on all of it and she seemed to really enjoy it. I have to say though, that the first time any child hurts her in any way I am not above boarding a plane and giving that little mongrel a serious beat down.

In the last couple of weeks I've been doing some growing myself. I've not felt great for the past, oh, two months or so, and I finally got fed up with it last week when I spent much of the time in bed crying. It's not as bad as it sounds. I came to the conclusion that the meds I'm on to help me sleep aren't helping me as much as they need to be and so I was approaching all of life as a sleep-deprived person: irrational and useless. I took appropriate steps and went to a regular doctor and an Eastern practitioner just to cover all my bases. Regular doctor upped the dose and Dr. Nature did some chiro/acupuncture stuff and put me on a cleanse. The cleanse sucks, but I know it's good. I may do some modifications just to get me through, but so far I'm being really good about sticking to it.

As much as not feeling well sucks, so far it's been a great exercise in asking for help for me. Monday in yoga I had a bit of a breakthrough about why I have trouble with that. I think it's because that for the first time in my adult life I'm surrounded by more healthy people than not. I'm really used to needing strict boundaries around myself because as someone who wasn't always in the most healthy place, I tended to attract people to me who were also a bit of a wreck. This is not to say I've achieved health - far from it - but rather I'm more honest about my own brokenness but also my strengths and I have people in my life who are more like that. It's more about adjusting to a new reality for me and allowing myself to trust the people in my life that I know that I can trust. I am so thankful for my friends, church community and co-workers who are truly great people from whom I learn something every day. Even the boss, who is, well, wow - can I just say... oh wait. He's probably reading this. I should stop.

No comments: