Friday, August 29, 2008

Labor Day Friday Five

Songbird says:

Here in the USA we are celebrating the last fling of the good ol' summertime. It is Labor Day weekend, and families are camping, playing in the park, swimming, grilling hot dogs in the backyard, visiting amusement parks and zoos and historical sites and outdoor concerts and whatever else they can find to help them extend summer's sun and play just a little bit longer.

It is supposed to also be a celebration of the working man and woman, the backbone of the American economy, the "salt-of-the-earth nieces and nephews of Uncle Sam. With apologies to those in other countries, this is a Friday Five about LABOR. All can play. Put down that hammer, that spoon, that rolling pin, that rake, that pen, that commentary, that lexicon, and let's have some fun.

1. Tell us about the worst job you ever had.

Gainey Ranch Hilton Gift Shop while I was in college. I had a manager call me up at 10:00 at night and cuss me out for not processing a shipment the night before when I was closing alone and slammed with business. She once also made me close 14 days in a row after I got back from a vacation. After the cuss out call I quit the next day. Hell no.

2. Tell us about the best job you ever had.

My favorite job was at a theology library. I got to interact with students writing sermons and papers and help them with their research. The problem was they didn't pay a living wage and they hired an idiot as the library director who actually asked our systems manager what a "monograph" was. Seriously.

3. Tell us what you would do if you could do absolutely anything (employment related) with no financial or other restrictions.

There are a TON of things I would love to do. I'd love to do community organizing, I love cooking, I love public speaking, I love writing, I love traveling. Something with all that stuff.

4. Did you get a break from labor this summer? If so, what was it and if not, what are you gonna do about it?

I had more labor this summer than I knew what to do with. I'd like to do a little getaway but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon b/c I need to go to a couple of conferences in the next couple of months. I'll figure something out.

5. What will change regarding your work as summer morphs into fall? Are you anticipating or dreading?

With my day job things will change b/c my boss (best boss in the world, love him, mean it) has been given more responsibility (well-deserved because, have I mentioned? best ever) which means more work for me and some fun extra projects. He piles on the work until I say stop but I'm a workaholic who doesn't say stop. Should be fun. Boundaries, anyone?

Church job is a whole other thing b/c Pastor is Queen of the Presbyterians (I think it's called "moderator") and is traipsing all over creation this fall and we're moving to a new facility. Lots of trial and error this fall. Looking forward to it all.

No comments: