Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Damned 123 Book Meme

I'm usually a meme person but this one has been so ubiquitous that it's downright annoying. However, Leslie tagged me, and I love her, but I refuse to tag anyone else in hopes that it will go away that much sooner.

1) Grab the nearest book of 123 pages or more.
2) Open it to page 123.
3) Find the first 5 sentences and write them down.
4) Invite five friends to do the same.

So here's my contribution to this meme.

"With the thought of his wife, guilty regret swept over him. What a wedding present he had given her. Did his daughter know? He couldn't bear it if his daughter knew. But perhaps that's why she had grown distant, helping him only as far as mean duty demanded."

From People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

That's what you're getting. Syphillis. That's right. He's dying of tertiary syphillis. Meme that.

No comments: