Sunday, February 17, 2008

Friday Five: Water and Word

Rev HRod over at Revgals writes:

In this Sunday's gospel Nicodemus asks Jesus, "How can anyone be born after having grown old? Can one enter a second time into the mother's womb and be born?" Poor old Nicodemus! He was so confused about the whole "water and Spirit" business of baptism.
For today's five, tell us about your baptismal experiences.


1. When and where were you baptized? Do you remember it? Know any interesting tidbits?
I was baptized on September 5, 1977. It was a baptist church and we had baptisms every service. It was also a live telecast (local) so it was on TV. We had a choir of about 250 and at the beginning of the baptismal time, they would sing the verse of "Lo, in the grave He lay." Then when all the baptisms were done, they sang the chorus of the same hymn, "Up from the grave He arose!" I was 5 at the time and first on the alphabetical list that Sunday evening. There were bathroom/changing rooms for each gender on either side of the baptistry. My mom was up there with me and they put me in the white shirt and shorts, and I think I might have had a bathing suit on underneath. When I got up there, the pastor started going on about how my family was all involved in the church, my dad was a deacon and my mom was in the music ministry, etc. I was so embarrassed. I just wanted him to shut up and dunk me.

2. What's the most unexpected thing you've ever witnessed at a baptism?
A couple of near-chokings b/c people didn't bend their knees.

3. Does your congregation have any special traditions surrounding baptisms?
We have this ridiculously cheesy song that they make me do when we baptize infants - "You Will Always Be A Child in My Eyes." The parents love it, but it's pretty awful.

4. Are you a godparent or baptismal sponsor? Have a story to tell?
Not yet.

5. Do you have a favorite baptismal song or hymn?
I like "I Will Never Be" from Hillsongs

I will never be the same again
I can never return, I've closed the door
I will walk the path, I will run the race
And I will never be the same again

Fall like fire, soak like rain
Flow like mighty waters again and again
Sweep away the darkness, burn away the chaff
And let a flame burn to glorify Your name

There are higher heights, there are deeper seas
Whatever you need to do, Lord, do it in me
The glory of God fills my life
And I will never be the same again

No comments: