Today Girl Intern Abby did a GREAT job of leading us in a discussion of what it means to have doubt and is it really a bad thing. The passage for the 2nd Sunday of Easter is the story that has come to be known as "Doubting Thomas," but that is probably a bit harsh. The community was very chatty today and there were a lot of really good points made about what it means to doubt and what Thomas' situation really looked like. Some of the things said were:
- While Jesus did say, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe," he didn't say, "Cursed are those who have not seen and who do not believe."
- Thomas questioned the disciples but they had already seen Jesus and before they saw Jesus they weren't exactly paragons of faith
- Doubt is what puts people on the faith journey, so bring it on!
- The story of Thomas has been used by the church to discourage people from asking questions by demonizing doubt
- Thomas was being rational, not necessarily disbelieving
Bruce was out today on a much-needed family break, and so what was great about today was that our community was so responsive to Abby. It really showed how much they've grown to care about her and accept another voice in the "pulpit" (music stand, more accurately). I also had a great time singing with Megan - such a great girl. Say a prayer for her grandmother, Doris, who is having surgery tomorrow.
Interesting that doubt would be the topic during a week when I have greater certainty about many things. More later...